Two for One: Gift Ideas for Under Your Tree That Help Others In Need
It’s that time of year again when you head off to the mall with your gift list in-hand hoping to luck-up on the best sales. This year, before you give into the hype and spend your hard-earned money on things that no one really wants, consider investing in some gifts that give back. It’s a great way to give something to those less fortunate, the community, or to the environment. The best part is that it won’t cost you anything extra to buy a gift that you can really feel good about giving.
- Bombas – This store’s name is derived from the Latin word for ‘bumblebee’ because they live in hives and work together for the good of their world. Bombas knits their mantra ‘bee better’ inside every pair of socks they make as a reminder that your purchase helped someone in need. Since the company learned that socks are the most-requested clothing item in homeless shelters, they have been as busy as bees trying to make a difference. For every pair of their socks you purchase, another pair is donated to someone in need. Just locate the shelter in your area that you want to donate to and contact Bombas to make a difference with every pair of socks you buy and give for Christmas.
- Teespring – Teespring is a custom printing company that makes clothing items to support a variety of causes. Buy a t-shirt and 100% of the profits go to the Texas Flood Relief fund. These tees make really cool gifts for a lot of people on your shopping list and they go a long way towards helping your neighbors in need.
- Sackcloth & Ashes – The founder of Sackcloth & Ashes was inspired to help the homeless population because he saw his own mother living on the streets. When he began his quest to help, every shelter he called requested blankets. The beautiful blankets offered are certain to be appreciated by gift recipients of any age. For every one you buy, Sackcloth & Ashes will donate FIVE blankets to your local homeless shelter.
- BoGoLight – Few Christmases get by without at least one light gift. The “Buy One Give One” light is something special that can benefit individuals and families in emergency situations. They are rugged solar lights that are renewable, a much more efficient and eco-friendly alternative to kerosene and candles. You choose one of the lights to buy and they give a free one to the charity or cause of your choice. Some ideas include Texas Flood Relief, local schools, or safety programs in your neighborhood.
- Happy Blankie – This company is the brainchild of a 7-year-old who developed animal-themed baby blankets and a “one to love, one to give” basis. When you purchase one for a youngster on your gift list, you choose where you want the other one to go. It’s a great way to give to the little ones during the holidays.
In addition to these organizations, check out the businesses and groceries in your community. Sometimes, stores offer buy one, give one specials during the Christmas season to help the less fortunate in your back door.